Sunday, July 25, 2010

What's your Creative Process?

The Seven Stage Dynamic of the Creative ProcessImage via Wikipedia
Wow. I can't believe a whole year and a half has gone by since I wrote my last blog. As they say, time flies when you're having fun and I have had a great time creating beautiful jewelry, defining my brand, and promoting All Earz Jewelry as a business. I think I'm off to a pretty good start and now I would like to open up some dialog about the business of creating handmade jewelry. The creative process can be quite isolating and when I am in the creative zone, I do not pay attention to trends or industry news. So writing this Blog will allow me to stay connected to the business side of my craft. Being a Jewelry Artisan is my passion but it doesn't hurt to make some money while pursuing your passion. But I digress...back to the art.

What is your creative process? Do you look at a picture? Do you design to a particular style? Oddly enough my creative process starts with the material. When I purchase my supplies I have no idea what I am going to make. I am drawn to the colors, textures, and shapes and I just buy whatever catches my eye. I touch the stones and gems and arrange them and rearrange them until I think of a design. Touching the material allows thoughts to formulate in my mind and those thoughts eventually become art or jewelry. All of the components of the stones (shape, color, texture) determine whether the design will be crazy runway material or elegant dinner party accessories. I surprise myself every time. I look forward to hearing from my fellow artisans about what inspires you to create.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment